Purpose: To control small amounts of expenditure. Post at least monthly as part of monthly accounting procedures.
Ensure all petty cash payments have been properly authorised.
Ensure you have supporting documents to hand to answer any queries.
Obtain an up-to-date nominal code list – see List Chart of Accounts.
On the main menu click Daybooks > Cash Book > Payments > Petty Cash
Process payment – see Cashbook – Petty Cash Payments form – below.
Click OK to update.
Month end balance on the nominal petty cash account should equal the value of cash in the petty cash tin.
As required – see List Petty Cash Transactions.
File any supporting documents with other petty cash supporting documents.
- Bank: Petty Cash control account as defined in Nominal Ledger and Cash Book Parameters.
- Date: Either: Manual entry formatted as DD/MM/YY. Type over the parts of the date you wish to change – the system will skip over the “/” part itself. If the date you enter is invalid; the cursor will return to the start of the date and await a valid entry, or; click on the field to highlight data – white on a blue background – then right click to open the Calendar Menu – see Dates and Calendar.
- Reference: For petty cash listing.
- Gross & VAT: Enter total amounts – usually monthly spend.
- Enter Net Amount and appropriate VAT Code and amount on each line until Left to analyse = nil and Entered VAT = Calculated VAT – differences can be adjusted.
- Click OK to post to ledgers and Petty Cash control or Cancel to abandon.